Southern Nevada (Las Vegas) Meeting: Thursday, September 14, 2017
Topic: Understanding HIPAA Compliance, Audits & Enforcement
Body of Knowledge Domain: Risk and Compliance Managemen
HIPAA requirements are often misunderstood and under-appreciated by medical practices. Certain requirements have been added and fines increased in the past few years. The Office of Civil Rights (OCR) is also expanding audits of both Covered Entities and Business Associates. This session will provide practical information and take-aways from both Covered Entity and Business Associate perspectives.
Attendees will better understand:
- Key areas of HIPAA and HITECH laws and regulations in order to meet compliance requirements.
- What breaches are, how to report them and the potential financial consequences.
- The value of security risk assessments, and how to perform them.
- The roles and responsibilities of Business Associates
- How HIPAA audits are conducted and what is expected to pass.
- Fines and other penalties for non-compliance.
- Nevada requirements for compliance with Security of Personal Information
Presented by: Leonard Hamer, MBA CMPE
Mr. Hamer has over 30 years of experience in healthcare delivery, policy and management, including: management of physician groups and provider networks; implementation and support of Electronic Health Records and other health information technology systems; physician revenue cycle management; accounting and other financial services; services to employer self-funded medical plans. He is the co-founder and CEO of Physician Select Management, with corporate headquarters in Carson City, NV, providing services nationally and headquartered in Carson City, NV, offering HIM, IT and other services to medical practices and other healthcare providers throughout the United States.
Desert Radiologists Conference Room: 2020 Palomino Lane, 2nd Floor Las Vegas, NV 89106 (Near UMC and Valley Hospital)
Please RSVP to Ricki Greenspon at: firstname.lastname@example.org